Thursday, August 19, 2010

Signs of Life



This little girl was brought to us in a cardboard box by a police officer. She was rescued from a less than ideal situation -- the rest of her litter mates had died from a really bad upper respiratory infection. When she was brought to us, it with was with the premise that we "don't waste too much time on her"... I brought the box back to our medicine room and mentally prepared myself for what I might see upon opening the box. I lifted the first flap and her little head popped right out! I had to put my hand over her to make sure the rest of her didn't fly out as well!

I removed her from her cardboard vessel and assessed her general condition. She was borderline emaciated, dehydrated, and had a pretty bad upper respiratory infection. Her eyes and nose showed significant discharge and it was apparent she was horribly uncomfortable. However, she was bright, alert and responded to physical contact. I couldn't just put her down - she wasn't ready to give up, and I wasn't going to give up on her. We started her on some oral antibiotics to address her secondary bacterial infections and moved her to our isolation room. Within a couple days she was making some progress, but one of her eyes really started to get inflamed so we added some eye ointment to her treatment list. A couple days later we tried a couple drops of nasal decongestant to try and dry up her nasal passages - it worked! From then on, she continued to get better and better and fatter and fatter!

Today was day number 12 of her treatment and she is nearly as good as new! And just a couple days away from being put up for adoption! As you can see, she's active enough that it's hard to get a good picture of her :) It's things like these that make me remember why I do what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment